1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Guest,

Over the next few days there may be some slight changes to VPL. If you see something going on don't be alarmed we most likely know about it! If you have any troubles please contact Evolution.

Happy Holidays
    The VPL Staff
  3. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL's sister site the virtual pets blog

Your favorite fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drea, May 10, 2012.

1. Drea

Drea Approved Writer Approved Writer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    We all know mine, but I'd like to say why it is my favorite just to jump-start the topic. *bip* Mega Man (which shall be referred to as Megaman for the rest of this post) has been a huge part of my life since I was very young, maybe four years old. Naturally, as I grew up, I turned to the internet to meet others who like it like I do... and thus was brought into the Megaman fandom. I love this fandom, I really do, not just because of the subject but because of the community as a whole. The Megaman fandom has a few great qualities:

1. It is relatively small, which creates a very tight community.

2. Very few people in this fandom judges you for what you do with the characters. You can draw them as transformers, pair them with whoever you want, completely change their armor... everyone's headcanon is a little different, and people are generally okay with that.

3. ​
    The fandom has a ton of variety. Unlike some other fandoms that I've noticed, I've seen a lot of variation in pairings and shippings, character design and development, even original characters. Comparing this to the MLP fandom, for example: MLP appears to have a very strict idea regarding the Mane 6, their personalities, how to draw them... In the Megaman fandom, while there are obvious rivalries and relationships, people still surprise me with what they come up with regarding the main characters... and going back up a bullet, people don't kill you if you come up with something different than the norm (in fact I love seeing Quick put into different situations and personalities *frzt* <3)

Anyway, I was wondering what fandoms you guys are involved in, and why you like them. I think it's a fun thing to talk about and learn about. I know I'm very passionate about mine and I'm sure you guys are about yours.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. Flees

Flees Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Even though it is young, I love the Legend of Korra fandom. Everyone just seems so nice and artsy :] Plus, there are so many unanswered questions right now, everything is up and the air and shippers are going crazy. I personally am still rooting for Borra. I'm also upset I'll miss the new episode Saturday because of work :[

People are making OC's left and right and spoilers are kept to a minimum. I think you could hear hearts snapping in half after last week's episode though. I was torn between crying and laughing and the flood of art afterwards continued my emotional confusion.

Not to mention it is tied to the Avatar community, most of which are getting to be young adults anymore. You still see the occasional Zutara ship and all the crazy disproven ideas there. Reminds me of the good ole days.

I too like Mega Man by the way. Not quite to your level but I remember playing one of the games for GBC over and over just loving it (*coughzerocough*). There are so many animes and games I just drool over so I'm going to limit my discussion to this for now xD

EDIT: I forgot Adventure Time, like I seriously don't know how, but yeah. Beautiful art, fun people,and one crazy show.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  3. Niji

Niji Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @FleesFlees

High-five on that. The LoK fandom is just raging. They come up with such amazing art and create canons! I've created some fan art as well. There is just so much you can do with the Avatar series and the fans clearly take full advantage of that!

Its also awesome when you've kind of grown up with a series and get to see a sequel to a series you fell in love with a while back. It really feels kind of personal in that aspect.

...Also I adore the Doctor Who fandom. They create the most beautiful graphics and interesting interpritations on the series. (It also helps when I'm a die hard Whovian too :p )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. Drea

Reputations:
    One think I've seen with the LoK fandom is that some people are a bit obsessed with making sure that Kora isn't portrayed with the wrong skin color, or isn't "whitewashed" as they call it. Do you guys have any experience with that? I haven't seen any other negative things in it though.

I was never into Avatar so I'm not sure I'll ever be into Kora but I know @kamikami likes it so I'm going to try and watch both when I have the chance. I actually remember thinking Avatar was stupid when I was younger xD but of course I'll give it a fair shot. : )

5. Flees

Flees Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I thought the same way about Avatar before I actually watched it. But then I watched it. And watched it again. It's like potato chips and I'm glad I can finally have more than one. It continuously became better and more involved. Korra is definitely more mature (still a Nicktoon though :p) which I think was a smart choice considering the fan base grew up.

As for "whitewashing," maybe a mention or two but nothing serious. I think she even changed color between episodes. She went from waterbender to whoa, she's dark in no time flat. But the one or two obsessed don't disrupt the general feel and flow of the community :]

6. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    LoK and the A:TLA community is wonderful =]. The Spyro the Dragon community isn't so bad if you don't pay attention to all the hate Skylanders has brought. Just need to learn to accept it.

[video=youtube;9hxPS9OG-bA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxPS9OG-bA&feature=related[/video]

EVERYONE DANCE THE DANCE OF LIFE

*gets shot for posting Avatar stuff*

7. Drea

Reputations:
    Mmm I can appreciate the music. Daw now I really gotta watch it so I'm not all lonely from the other ATLA and LoK fans. xD

8. Aesop

Aesop Superb Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I prefer the Last Air Bender to Legend of Korra. Either way it's the only animated television show that I enjoy as an adult. Just thought you'd like to know haha.

As for fandoms... I have none. I find a lot of fandom communities to be overbearing/go too far. One of my friends is obsessed with Harry Potter/Snape and I just find it to be way too much. I really get into books/movies; I cry, I wish I could go to Hogwarts, etc. There's a limit though and I just can't handle the level of intensity some fans have haha.

No disrespect to those people who are like that. I just find myself feeling uncomfortable when faced with extreme fandom.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. Drea

Reputations:
    @AesopAesop That's too bad :S Not relaxed enough for you I guess? What about it puts you off? If you're not sure that's fine I'm just curious.

10. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    ^ Got to agree with the whole Harry Potter fandom...it's gotten a bit insane...The whole house debates on Tumblr, Pottermore (it's actually kinda boring to me at least), ect. The movies and books are wonderful but people take it too far.

I can't stand the Homestuck and Hetalia fandoms...Omg...those people...Some are bat shit insane or just...yikes.

11. Drea

Reputations:
    Okay I will admit this is one fandom that scares me at times. I have friends who are into it and who are cool but the general vibe doesn't work for me. I'm not sure what it is. And it's not the entire community but a lot of it. xD I know there are lots of awesome troll lovers out there.

12. Aesop

Reputations:
    @DreaDrea - I don't know. I'm fine with people making up fake relationships; but, at the same time I find it weird that people just mash two random characters together haha. I just prefer that what the author/creator isn't morphed into something that it isn't. Like yeah sure write a fanfic about Harry and Hermione; but, don't go put Hermione in a relationship with Hagrid. Obviously some people enjoy it, and they're allowed to. I just don't find pleasure in even coming upon people these random situations that people have created.

I guess I've just experienced a lot of fandoms turn into something that's more of a fetish haha. I'm definitely not stereotyping because I do see how creating alternate stories could be fun; but, again some take it too far for my taste.

It's just the extremes that fandom can be taken to. Again, not judging those who do go to extremes. I just find myself unable to enjoy even the tasteful and well written stuff because I encounter so many things that make me feel uncomfortable. It's just not my cup of tea to completely alter something that I enjoy.

I also find it hard to understand certain people's obsessions with homosexuality. I just don't see why a 14 year old girl can get excited about Ron and Harry having sex (I'm using a lot of Harry Potter examples...). EDIT: I think it might just be how people bring sex into something, to me anyways, isn't sexual at all.

I don't know that might not make total sense haha.

13. Drea

Reputations:
    Ahhh I understand what you mean, it makes perfect sense. Being a shipper myself I guess I just have to say that while I have no problem with it in general (there are exceptions,) I really prefer when it has relevance, and if it doesn't it can seem tasteless for me. That's true for anything though, not just pairings. As an example, Quickman and Turboman are rivals, so I like to see them compete, but I also don't mind seeing them have an affinity toward each other since they were both built for speed and have that connection (be it romantic, platonic, whatever.) I'm not too keen on characters being paired "randomly" but that's another thing about my fandom that is weird, everyone pretty much agrees on the same pairs. That's probably based on the fact that they have weaknesses in-game to each other, though..? That and their "types." Speedy robots, walking demolition unit robots, underwater robots... If somebody were to pair two completely unrelated characters I'd probably raise an eyebrow because I like it to at least make some sense.

Anyway.

I think the homosexuality/yaoi thing is expected in any fandom... heck I've already admitted to making my own pairings (I think) but for something other than Megaman I can have a hard time with it. Harry Potter is something that, like you, I'm not sure I want to engage in when it comes to the mishmashing of random characters together... I don't think I'd mind it as much as you do because as I've said I'm generally okay with most pairings, but I don't think I really get anything out of people hooking up Ron and Harry. It might be that I don't have a deep enough connection with the characters or it might be that it just doesn't work for me. I do know that creating sexual situations out of nothing is offputting for me in... well in basically anything other than Megaman x'D I'm such a hypocrite! I do think that girls' obsession with homosexuality is natural and expected, though, but that's for another topic.

I'm sure there are some more traditional HP (and other fandom) fans out there. I totally get what you mean about you not getting anything out of the typical HP crazy-female fanbase and it making it hard to enjoy it. If it isn't your thing then running across that stuff can really put you off from the rest :S it's too bad :'D sorry you can't seem to run across the good stuff without things that make you nope.avi.

14. Aesop

Reputations:
    @DreaDrea - Glad you understood haha.

Just to clarify... I'm not disgusted by the fact that there are girls who get into the whole homosexual thing. I just don't understand it. I don't find pleasure in thinking about straight people/lesbians having sex in real life, let alone in a fantasy sort of way. That being said, I can't judge something that I don't understand haha.

I'm not opposed to fandom. Hopefully I don't come across as stereotyping all fans as extreme haha. I think it's great that people can connect over these types of things, and perhaps one day I'll find myself involved in a fandom :p.

15. Drea

Reputations:
    Oh yeah I know, you didn't come across that way to me. C: I don't understand a lot of stuff either. xD So it's weird when you don't get it to see why people like it. I think you came across fine and I do hope you find something too haha.

16. MrMootles

MrMootles Supporter VPL Supporter Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
    Sherlock.
    Particularly BBC's version.
    Think tumblr coined the term Sherlockians.

17. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    I guess I dont really understand fandoms. Like you guys e talking about Harry Potter. I read a fanfic once where draco was sexually abused by his father and later ended up sleeping with harry. If I were to read something about Harry Potter I would want it to stick with what JK Rowling invented and be little side stories or things after where the book ends. Totally reinventi g harry potter to me makes it not harry potter and a totally new story.

Omg there is sherlock holmes fandom? Now that might be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Drea

Reputations:
    @MrMootles I have never watched Sherlock, I never seem to have the time to watch anything! And I think you're right about tumblr. I think kami also reblogged something about her fandom on tumblr... what do you call a Supernatural fan? A masochist. Ahaha! I like to think that in the world of tumblr, the Sherlockians, Supernatural... lovers, and Whovians are all on some big island somewhere all happy together XD

@
    Love I think that's part of the reason why people like it so much, they like being able to take something and create something out of it, like applying their own unique ideas to things that they like. I know I get a kick out of it and it's a big part of the fun. That thing you mentioned sounds extreme but hey if people like it, as long as it isn't hurting anyone? Not my thing but... I mean with a book series it might be hard for me since it's all written out but with something open-ended it can be a lot of fun I think, because then nothing is really given to you except a few things and you can work from there.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  19. MrMootles

MrMootles Supporter VPL Supporter Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
    @DreaDrea- I'm a "Masochist" too, actually xD IalsoshipDestiel sdfkdsflsdf. Doctor who seems interesting but I haven't watched it yet.

20. Drea

Reputations:
    @MrMootlesMrMootles I need to just sit down and watch a bunch of shows someday soon. Dr. Who looks really neat. How do you like Sherlock? What about it draws you to it? I wanna know which shows to watch first XDDD If you don't mind me asking.