Announcing Pereia! A new exploration pet RPG!

ObiWan710

25 and UP! VPL Member
Apr 6, 2020
Colorado
logo_2_color_by_whitefoxdesigns_ddwyvbt-

INTRODUCING PEREIA

Pereia
is a new pet RPG in development with a huge focus on exploration. You were explore the world completing quests while looking for and battling various species of Perí, which are the native creatures to Pereia. Should you find yourself in a battle with a Perí you'll have two options. You can either capture the Perí "pokemon" style and raise it as your own or you complete the battle while gaining experience for your active Perí to get one step closer to evolution! Most Perí will have two to three evolution stages so your hard fought battles will eventually pay off!

STORY PREVIEW

"

A bell jingles overhead as you swing the rickety door to enter inside. The air is stale, and you can see dust particles floating in the light seeping from the windows. The shop seems empty and disused, but the local person you asked for directions before definitely pointed to this place. It seems there were no other general stores in the village.

Curious, you look around the shelves at all the items for sale. They’re all mixed together with no apparent order, and there’s no prices showing. With furrowed brows, you pick up a dainty porcelain cup, wanting to take a closer look at its intricate floral paint. However, as you’re turning it in your hands, the handle comes off with a crack! You furtively look right and left, making sure nobody saw you, then hide the pieces behind a large teddy bear on the same shelf.

You quickly reach the counter, eager to be finished with the place. Nobody is there to serve you unfortunately, and you end up staring at the peeling wallpaper in front of you, unsure of what to do. Should you just leave and never look back? Who knew how long it would take to reach the next village, though...

Suddenly, a booming loud noise sounds from behind the wall, then, clangs and thuds, like multiple heavy objects falling on the floor. A door at the corner opens up, and a man emerges wearing a stained lab coat, sheepishly dusting his hair off and approaching the counter whilst holding a plethora of coloured eggs in his arms.

“You! I know you!” He cheerily exclaims, “You’re... Eh- ... Well, never mind your name, I just know that you’re one of my regular clients!”

You try to inform him that he must be mistaken for you’ve never shopped here before, but he loudly keeps talking before you can correct him.

“Here!” He shoves one of the eggs at you, and you can’t do anything but accept it, lest it falls on the floor. “This is a present for being such a loyal customer!”

He keeps smiling throughout like nothing strange is going on, and you’re sure your face must be mirroring the utter confusion you’re feeling at the situation.

One of the eggs in the shop owner’s arms starts vibrating and crackling, causing the man to sigh deeply, “Oh no, not another one...” he mutters under his breath whilst pushing his glasses up his nose.

He promptly turns to hastily walk back to the small door, seemingly eager to return to... Whatever he was doing in the room behind the wall.

He stops just before walking through the threshold, like he just remembered you were still there, “Well, come back any time! There’s plenty of other presents for you, if you come again. Unless...” He worryingly looks at the moving egg in his arms, “...You can take this as well! We really appreciate our customers, and we love making them happy by giving them rewards-!”

You quickly flee the shop before the crazy man ends up piling you with dozens of unwanted eggs. You look down at the one you have already in your hands, curiously feeling its warmth through the shell. You wonder if it will ever hatch?"

ART PREVIEW

I would now like to give a preview of the eggs a user has the chance of receiving from the scientist and the Perí that they will hatch in to.

earthelementpeteggGIMP.png.ef02723f69573819697efa0309fec21c.png
earthelementpet2GIMP.png.84e92ae0b31cd35ca20470745954083e.png

firefrogeggGIMP.png.347c90e9783233fd7f826a9d83b3ede3.png
firefrogGIMP.png.96d968833a8fc0f234466052906c82e4.png

ghostfoxeggGIMP.png.2bafed119c7ad385335a26cc8da78594.png
venix.png.9e9013c7d0228300b967c36f783f338b.png

WANT MORE?

Join us on Discord: Join the Pereia Discord Server!

Last edited:
Reactions: cpvr
How does one travel? What type of battle system you using?
A user will be able to click a destination on a "world" map and method of travel (ex. bike). Once they select the destination, a timer will be set based on distance from the users current location and the destination they've selected and during that time they will have the option to "search" the area which presents the user the opportunity to find items, gold, meet NPCs for quests and encounter the wild Perí . It will be a turn based battle system where instead of using weaponry items you will be able to use actual abilities you can teach your Perí using our learning scroll items. You will also be able to enhance an ability as you level up to increase the amount of damage it does.

Reactions: cpvr
Sounds pretty interesting and fun so far. Though I think it'd be better if you could work in some way for the user to actually pick the egg they receive. It makes sense story given your story for it to be random, and that can be kind of fun, but if you get one you don't like that can be pretty negative for people. I could see people even creating new accounts to try and get a different one they actually want (against the rules or not) and I don't know generally you want to be able to like your starter. And I know with Pokemon that initially picking is pretty important. Just a my thoughts anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

How long has this game been in development? Any information on where things are at programming wise?

Sounds pretty interesting and fun so far. Though I think it'd be better if you could work in some way for the user to actually pick the egg they receive. It makes sense story given your story for it to be random, and that can be kind of fun, but if you get one you don't like that can be pretty negative for people. I could see people even creating new accounts to try and get a different one they actually want (against the rules or not) and I don't know generally you want to be able to like your starter. And I know with Pokemon that initially picking is pretty important. Just a my thoughts anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

How long has this game been in development? Any information on where things are at programming wise?
Thanks for the suggestion! I could try and figure out something so it's not as random.

The games been in the planning stages for about a year or so but actually development has only been about a month and a half-two months. As far as programming wise I've been focusing knocking out the "core" features (user system, mail, friend requests, etc) while stocking up on artwork for the exploration feature.

Yeah it can be hard to conform story to mechanics. Maybe the user could describe what it looks like or something like that. Just throwing a thought out there anyway.

Nice. There is definitely a lot to do overall with games. I have been a developer for years with a couple of my own game projects, so pretty familiar how much goes into them.

Reactions: Sim
Yeah it can be hard to conform story to mechanics. Maybe the user could describe what it looks like or something like that. Just throwing a thought out there anyway.

Nice. There is definitely a lot to do overall with games. I have been a developer for years with a couple of my own game projects, so pretty familiar how much goes into them.
Or I could just put a confirmation in like "is this the one you want" and the user could hit yes and claim it or no and generate a new egg

Reactions: Anoua