Online Gaming

Game Dev

Virtual Pets, Sims

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list community, we discuss game dev from virtual pets, roleplaying games, mmos, mobile apps all the way to virtual worlds.
VPL is a friendly and positive online community. Our main goal is to help game owners, players, artists and writers all to across the globe. So, if you're looking for a fun, active and a great resource to discuss your favorite games or you're trying to find a new game, our game dev forum can help you. We're the biggest and most successful community for virtual pets, sim games and game dev.
Find game reviews, dev guides and upcoming games. Let us help you grow your game or discuss your favorite online games with us!

1. Liquid Web Dedicated Servers

Please retweet, like and share our social media posts, so we can grow. Also, we encourage you to like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter and follow us on Tumblr

Flash vs HTML5

Discussion in 'Coding & Programming' started by Dart, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Frame Rate: 60 FPS
    Stage Size: 500x400
    HTML5 Type: Canvas
    Flash Type: FP11 + Starling

Stay tuned.

2. Lol, I use a Mac, so HTML5 always wins for me.

3. I hate flash..... Can't use flash on my ipod. HTML5 is much better anyhoo!

4. Can't watch flash movies on my iPhone 4, so basically, I stick with html5. And are you going to be comparing the two, such as, which one is better? Which is easier to learn? ETC

5. Here is the flash version. A new ball is created each frame, and is bounced until it reaches the left side of the screen. It requires flash player 11.

http://images.alleypets.com/demo.html

On my laptop, it runs almost perfectly at 60 frames per second. I don't know how it will work on mac.

I will attempt to create a canvas version soon.

This is a speed test, however I must say that flash is easier to learn than HTML5.

6. [​IMG]
    Dx

At least it runs at 60fps...

2.7ghz processor, 512mb dedicated ram video card nvida something, 4gb of ram and 256gb ssd. it's insane how awful flash is for os x.

7. That's weird, memory is about 30% for me.

I hate to admit it, but regular flash probably would have crashed your mac.

The real purpose of this demo was to test Starling (an ActionScript 3.0 framework). A less extreme example (such as a regular game) would probably run fine on your computer.

I am hard-pressed, however, to think about how canvas could run better.

Note: This is my first time developing using starling.