Online Gaming

Game Dev

Virtual Pets, Sims

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list community, we discuss game dev from virtual pets, roleplaying games, mmos, mobile apps all the way to virtual worlds.
VPL is a friendly and positive online community. Our main goal is to help game owners, players, artists and writers all to across the globe. So, if you're looking for a fun, active and a great resource to discuss your favorite games or you're trying to find a new game, our game dev forum can help you. We're the biggest and most successful community for virtual pets, sim games and game dev.
Find game reviews, dev guides and upcoming games. Let us help you grow your game or discuss your favorite online games with us!

1. Liquid Web Dedicated Servers

Please retweet, like and share our social media posts, so we can grow. Also, we encourage you to like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter and follow us on Tumblr
    Pretty Kitty Commissions

Looking for someone to make me a map.

Discussion in 'Completed art Transactions' started by Adam Calhoun, May 31, 2012.

1. It would be similar to a map used on a petsite(in a sense). I do have examples of what i'd like the map to look like. Please Tag Me or PM if interested. Thanks!

2. Good luck!

Just a word of advice:
    Don't go for any hourly payment deals.​

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for the tip!

4. Ohhh, why?

5. Due to an issue I've been witnessing for a while now. But also because hourly payment rates can easily go way over $100 just for one map...​

6. @JoyJoy
    Personally I think that an hourly payment deal would work as long as the commissioner and the artist have some sort of range agreement or estimate beforehand. Many artists have a decent idea of the time it takes for them to complete an image, and if you work at an hourly rate often and have shown yourself to be consistent with high-quality artwork, I see no reason why an hourly rate should be discouraged.
    Yes, hourly rates probably don't favor the commissioners, as many (not all, but many) petsite owners are hobbyists and cannot afford higher prices. But keep in mind that hourly rates are probably a lot more practical for artists who want to or are able to work at more professional rates. I sound like a broken record, but I do believe that many artists on this forum undercharge themselves, and I definitely have seen artwork here that would be worth over $100. That's why, while I agree that hourly rates aren't the most prudent choice for many owners here, I wouldn't say absolutely /don't/. If you find a trusted artist with high quality work and their payment plans suit your needs, by all means go for it. Just make sure to discuss things with the artist beforehand and make sure you have at least a rough idea of what you're getting.

#6 Kiku, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Yes , HiJack the thread.. nice.

8. @Adam CalhounAdam Calhoun
    I was not in any way trying to 'hijack' your thread, so I'm sorry if you were annoyed or offended in any way.
    Honestly, there are a lot of complexities when trying to purchase art at a fair price, so I was merely trying to respond to advice that I somewhat disagreed with (especially since said advice would cut off a specific group of artists, when only a few are guilty of dishonest overcharging), and offer my own advice to you - which is to buy art carefully and to communicate with the artist.
    I meant to help rather than harm, but if my post genuinely bothers you, I can remove it. In the future, if you don't want the post there, please ask me rather than making a snide comment about the intention of my comment.

#9 Kiku, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013