Online Gaming

Game Dev

Virtual Pets, Sims

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list community, we discuss game dev from virtual pets, roleplaying games, mmos, mobile apps all the way to virtual worlds.
VPL is a friendly and positive online community. Our main goal is to help game owners, players, artists and writers all to across the globe. So, if you're looking for a fun, active and a great resource to discuss your favorite games or you're trying to find a new game, our game dev forum can help you. We're the biggest and most successful community for virtual pets, sim games and game dev.
Find game reviews, dev guides and upcoming games. Let us help you grow your game or discuss your favorite online games with us!

1. Liquid Web Dedicated Servers

Please retweet, like and share our social media posts, so we can grow. Also, we encourage you to like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter and follow us on Tumblr
    Pretty Kitty Commissions

What do you think about unlockable pets?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Game Management' started by bauss, Jun 17, 2012.

1. It might be a good idea for you to consider having unlockable pets for your virtual pet site. I think this can be good for pet sites, because it adds value to rare pets, and if users have to complete tasks to unlock pets, it keeps them busy on your pet site longer. What do you think?

2. I haven't seen this feature yet, but I agree, its a good feature to have - tasks, such as, doing a lot of quests? Chatting on the forums? Exploring?

3. @cpvrcpvr - Didnt faunapetgame have something like this? I remember going round the site and it said I had unlocked a pet. No idea how though. I like coding things like this. I sis one for solpets similar to the neopets krawk. You had to have a certain minni pet attached to your pet, feed the minni pet a certain item and go to a certain location. The minni pet would then turn into a pet. It took a while for people to figure out how it was done XD I think more sites should have different ways to unlock pets, like forums. However sites need to be mindful of spam etc inorder to achieve the pet.

#3 Earth, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. I didn't really get the chance to fully explore Fauna's features though. Hopefully @PaulSonnyPaulSonny can get it back up and running soon.

#4 cpvr, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  5. Doesn't Subeta have this? You do a load of things to access the Blue Building, and then somehow in there you get that pet that looks like a Bumblebee? I can't think what its called, I keep thinking Buzel but thats that bee thing from IceP.

6. I love things that are limited edition/hard to get as long as people can still get them through trading/selling. Giving people something to work for is always a fun thing.

7. PetRPG does unlockable pets and colors.
    You can unlock a Platy by fishing one up, or find a Cham on site by clicking a set of cham eyes that come up once in awhile.

You can also unlock colors like Baker or Fisherman by performing the activities daily and getting their skill levels up.

8. @bauss
    I agree with this. Some sites have the 'Limited edition' or 'restricted' pets, both you have to work at to obtain. Having pets that are hard to get definitely give users a reason to more actively play the game.

9. EvoDragon has 3 'unlockable' pets. There's 3 types of missions that you can do daily. Do 30 of each and you get a random color of one of the unlockable pets x'D (3 pets, 3 missions)
    It's fairly easy, really. I think this would be cool for maybe 1 pet, but I think there should be a lot of other ways.

10. Yeah Fauna had this feature by going to certain areas in the site. It was pretty neat since it wasn't limited. I've seen alot of similar pet sites do something like a random event to unlock a pet or colors which I think is really fun. One thing I dislike are Limited Edition Pets. I never really got why sites do this. It honestly drives me away from the site knowing I'll never get that pet since I joined late lol.

11. I love unlockable pets, even though I've never got myself one! XD They just make awesome goals and give me the drive to play.