Former Blizzard President thinks players should be able to tip game developers

cpvr

Owner
Administrator
Feb 7, 2020
Texas
The former president of Blizzard thinks it would be a good idea for players to be able to tip game developers. Do you agree? We already spend money to buy video games we enjoy, and we might also pay for account upgrades or premium features. So, should tipping be an option too?

This is what the former president of Blizzard, Mike Ybarra had to say regarding his tipping idea:
I've thought about this idea for a while, as a player, since I've been diving into single player games lately.

When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was. At the end of the game, I've often thought "I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me every second".

Games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BG3, Elden Ring, etc. I know $70 is already a lot, but it's an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special.

I know most will dislike this idea. :) BTW, I realize we are tired of "tipping" in everything else - but I view this different from a pressure to tip type scenario many face and give feedback on.
Source: Former Blizzard president suggests you should be able to leave a $10 or $20 tip for the devs because 'some games are that special'

Attachments

• IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sleepysaur
LOL OMG, that's the funniest thing I ever heard! Games are already $70 for the game and if you get the season pass that's another $50. How much money do they expect people to pay for a game?

They could start releasing games completely working at launch without bug fixes needed, that would be a start. Tbf i'm sure some would tip developers but i certainly wouldn't.

They could start releasing games completely working at launch without bug fixes needed, that would be a start. Tbf i'm sure some would tip developers but i certainly wouldn't.
Another good start would be to release the full game and not microtransaction you to death. There are so many reasons why they should never get a tip.

There ARE ways to support indie devs and small studios!! So long as they have a platform in which to do it through, like kofi, patreon, or itch.o for example! If I really enjoy a game and I have the money to spare, I try to do the same. Or offer to buy the game for a friend. Even if it sits in their library its a little extra cash and an extra sale in the dev's pocket.

A bit unrelated but you've been running vpl for a long time, even before this forum since we had a forum before this @cpvr ! Have you ever thought of making your own petsite or game in general?

Reactions: cpvr