Why do virtual pet sites vanish?

cpvr

Owner
Administrator
Feb 7, 2020
Texas

Why do virtual pet sites vanish?​

Since i’ve been involved in the virtual pets community, I’ve seen various virtual pet sites come and go. There’s a lot of things that can factor into the decisions that can cause virtual pet sites that were once actively online to vanish.

Generally the virtual pet sites that vanish are created by owners that lose interest, the passion, lack of staff, time and the dedication to continue running their virtual pet sites. Some pet sites also vanish because they start becoming too expensive to keep online and they’re not generating enough revenue to stat online anymore.

What other factors do you think cause a pet site to vanish? Do you think the closing of some virtual pet sites is unavoidable?

Also, Club Penguin ended up shutting down in 2017 to my greatest surprise. Club Penguin Island was released which was a similar game to replace the original game but it also ended shutting down in 2018.

Reactions: cpvr
Also, Club Penguin ended up shutting down in 2017 to my greatest surprise. Club Penguin Island was released which was a similar game to replace the original game but it also ended shutting down in 2018.
Was there ever a reason as to why the original Club Penguin was shut down? Do you remember who owned the original Club Penguin game? I wonder if server costs were too much for the new owners that made Club Penguin Island.

I find that one of the biggest factors in virtual pet sites closing down is as you have stated, the owners losing interest. I also feel that in some cases, those who own pet sites have high expectations when they open a site and when they do not hit the goals they have planned out as quickly as they want to, they close it down and give up.

I find that one of the biggest factors in virtual pet sites closing down is as you have stated, the owners losing interest. I also feel that in some cases, those who own pet sites have high expectations when they open a site and when they do not hit the goals they have planned out as quickly as they want to, they close it down and give up.

The high cost of running those sites could also be a factor. I mean, when they calculate and realise that it is going to cost more, they end up closing those sites. It is never easy and hasn't been at all. I am happy that we have some virtual pet sites that are doing well now.

Was there ever a reason as to why the original Club Penguin was shut down? Do you remember who owned the original Club Penguin game? I wonder if server costs were too much for the new owners that made Club Penguin Island.
The summary of the whole thing was the game not being able to generate revenue as it's kept losing players interested in using it.

This article have the full story.

• Sad
Reactions: cpvr
My guess is the developer makes changes that people don't like. And then less people play, and soon it costs more to run the pet website than they are making. So they give up and close it down.